Using VAXStation 2000 as X-terminal

Doug Mohney sysmgr at KING.ENG.UMD.EDU
Fri Nov 16 05:56:26 AEST 1990

In article <PERF.90Nov15165838 at osiris.efd.lth.se>, perf at efd.lth.se (Per Foreby) writes:
>We have 20 VAXstn 2000 which are never used because our Sun's are much
>faster. Our DEC salesman came up with an idea: Buy som new DECstation
>2100's, put 24 Mb in each of them, and use the old 2000's as
>X-terminals.

Euh, is that 2100? I'd edge for the 3100s, just on a matter of principle OR
look at DECstation 5000s or 5100s as well.

Actually, you could just as easily use your VAXstation 2000s as X-terminals
*now* with your Suns (thereby dragging them to their knees ;-).

>In this way, by purchasing 20 DECstation 2100, we could get 40 fast
>workstations.

It seems to work OK; the Setup which is being run by the EE people have 3
Sparcstation 1+ machines distributing a load 'twixt roughly 12-14 VAXstation
2000s, but the VAXstation 2K isn't all that hot on mean time between failures.