Ultrix 4.1!

Jim Gettys jg at crl.dec.com
Fri Nov 9 07:59:51 AEST 1990

Besides the 3D DS5000 machines, 4.1 also supports the 5100 and 5500,
recently announced servers.

But sorry, Ultrix 4.1 is a bug fix/machine support release, and does not
have R4 based servers. :-( In general, R4 is less of a win on our machines
than most people's, as much of the performance gain we (I should say Joel
McCormack) did in the first place, and gave back much to MIT (all of
the device independent code improvements in windowing, etc.).
R4 is still nice stuff, in particular due to the memory savings and
resulting paging reduction, and it will get out soon, but it has been
less urgent for us than most manufacturers, since much of the benefit
we already have.  Too bad R4 didn't release a month or two later, or we
might have made the first round of DS5000 servers based on R4; from our
point of view, R4's release occurred at the pessimal time relative to our
hardware schedules.
				- Jim