using installation tape for disaster recovery

Steven Parkes steven at uicadd.csl.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 25 02:51:10 AEST 1990

|> > And finally, has anyone played with RIS?  We don't use it -- our of our
|> > machines have local root and swap .......

Well, I did this last weekend ... and it worked pretty well.

1) If you only want to boot the ram vmunix, you only need the ROOT subset
in /usr/adm/ris/ris?.*.  In fact, ROOT is a dump image, and all you really need
is vmunix.sas and netload.  However, in order not to change the ris script, I
kept all the .inv type files since they're pretty small.

2) the computation of size in setld doesn't work very well.  I ended up
commenting it out because neither symbolic links nor nfs redundant mounts could
get the stupid thing too look at the right partition.

smp