Problems with dd and tar

Wyman Chong wyman at athertn.Atherton.COM
Wed Sep 19 06:53:39 AEST 1990

Does anybody know if this is a bug?

I am having problems trying to use dd and tar under either Ultrix 3.1D or 4.0
running on a DECStation 3100.

When writing to the tape drive using tar everything is OK.
However if I try the following:

pluto:wyman{8}:tar cvf /dev/rmt0h good fdact.c

a good 16 blocks
a fdact.c 55 blocks

pluto:wyman{12}:dd if=/dev/rmt0h | tar tvf -
4+0 records in
4+0 records out
tar: blocksize = 4
rw-r--r-- 2150/0    8113 Aug 30 15:39 1990 good

tar: Directory checksum error, possible file name:
Atherton Technology.
*------------------------------------------------------------------------

>From the looks of it If I create a tape using tar I can extract it with tar
However, if I extract it using dd I have problems. I was able to extract it
using dd if I created it using dd. The reason I need dd is that I want to
be able to do something like....

rsh tapemachine "dd if=/dev/rmt0h" | tar xvf -

This used to work under 3.1 (I think) but does not seem to work under
3.1D or 4.0. This also works under SunOS.

Any ideas?

Wyman Chong
Atherton Technology
wyman at atherton.com