what am I doing wrong with xdm

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Sun Sep 23 04:39:01 AEST 1990

In article <7148 at dog.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:

| In article <646 at tron.UUCP>, carson at tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) writes:
| |>
| |>    I am trying to use xdm instead of the DEC session manager as my X
| |> startup.  It looks good at first but after logging in and logging out
| |> I get two login boxes!  I fiddled with it for a while and have tried
| |> using the simplest possible xdm configuration files I can thing of and
| |> it's still happening.
|
| How are you starting xdm?  It should NOT be started by /etc/ttys, which
| would start a new one everytime you log out.  Is should be started once
| in, say /etc/rc.local and never again.

I would get two or more xdm's occansionally when I was using xdm and
the DECwindows server (and yes, xdm was always started in
/etc/rc.local).  It seemed to happen whenever I left any X clients
running before terminating the toplevel xterm.  I have since switched
to a complete X11R4 (ie, no DEC supplied X software), and the problem
has gone away.  I suspected that because the ICCCM became offical in
X11R4, the session manager is properly telling the clients to
terminate, and with the DEC clients which are X11R3 based, one or more
didn't understand xdm.  One thing that the DEC session manager did was
capture /dev/console output.  Using xdm, you need to run something
like xconsole (or the XView program contool, or the Andrew equivalent
whose name escapes me).
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Do apple growers tell their kids money doesn't grow on bushes?