what am I doing wrong with xdm

mike gerard jmg at cernvax.UUCP
Sat Sep 22 16:27:47 AEST 1990

In article <646 at tron.UUCP> carson at tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) writes:

>   I am trying to use xdm instead of the DEC session manager as my X
>startup.  It looks good at first but after logging in and logging out
>I get two login boxes!  I fiddled with it for a while and have tried
>using the simplest possible xdm configuration files I can thing of and
>it's still happening.
>
>   It looks like it starts going wrong right away since I tried
>rebooting my workstation and a ps-ax | grep xdm from a dumb terminal
>without ever logging in as an X user gives three xdms running.
>
>   After a login, logout cycle I have three but two of them have new
>PIDs.  I get a normal login box.  Another cycle and I get two login
>boxes that want me to click to place (I'm using uwm).  A ps shows four
>xdms running.  The PIDs are different for four of them.
>  I am using DECwindows X not MIT X.

By a peculiar coincidence I spent yesterday afternoon trying to get
xdm running as the display manager to use with an NCD X-terminal which
we are trying. I may later also try to use xdm locally on the DECstation
(when I understand what other startups it replaces). However, having
defined the terminal in the Xservers file as foreign and starting up
xdm with
	     xdm -server "ncdxt1:0 NCD-19 foreign"
I indeed get communication between the DECstation and the NCD, plus a
logon window on the NCD, but I cannot login, probably because I keep
getting multiple copies of xdm running, each of which puts a new logon\
window onto the NCD. In fact, even if I kill the DEC session manager
I keep getting more xdm copies: I have to reboot my station to stop
this happening.

Trouble-shooting is, of course, made more difficult by having no
documentation of the xdm on my DECstation: I guess it is probably X11
release 3 but (unlike Suns) there are no man pages nor hard-copy DEC
documentation.

I have looked to see if there are any error logs in /var/adm: nothing.

I too am running DECwindows X on my station, but I prefer twm to uwm.

All help gratefully received, and I shall continue to scan this
bulletin board!
 _ _  o |            __                    |    jmg at cernvax.uucp