HELP!!!

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Sep 11 15:09:09 AEST 1990

                 ------/^\-------  (eh?)
> the only files I get appear to be files that ALREADY EXIST on my disk drive.
> To compound my problem, my RZ23 disk went south on me and had to be replaced.

The * in the regular expression above will be expanded to only those names
in your current usr2 directory.  Perhaps if you escape it, it will do what
you want.  The seems to be a confused example in the man page that may
have given you the wrong idea.

> Because I was unsure of the cpio command, I also did a 'tar' backup of the
> user files only.  Yet even it gives me an error.  I thought doing backups was
> to provide a 'safety-net'.

Yeah, but you need to test the net before the moment you need to leap.

Number one suggestion is don't bother with cpio(1) on a BSD derived system.
Use dump/restore when your main concern is backup, tar if you want the
backup a little more visible or transportable to other systems.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com