Ultrix versions / X-fonts

Marc Evans evans at decvax.dec.com
Mon Sep 17 21:07:02 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep16.163546.21839 at kth.se>, perand at admin.kth.se (Per
Andersson) writes:

|> I have two problems. The first is that I don't understand how Ultrix
is
|> numbered. Everybody is talking about V4.0 - but it seems to be VAX
only.
|> So what is it on the risc machine, and how does both relate to what
seems
|> to be called 'workstation software'. I would like to get the Athena
stuff
|> for a decstation 3100 to begin with.

ULTRIX V4.0 is available for both VAX and MIPS (RISC) based platforms.
The UWS
or 'workstation software' that you speak of is the pieces needed to be
able to
run a graphics workstation. Without the UWS pieces, you only have a
compute/server
box. As far as Athena stuff, which pieces do you desire? X
widgets/libraries?
Security extensions? Nifty file systems?

|> Also - does anybody know what parameters I should give to the
fontcompiler
|> when compiling .bdf fonts for:
|> 1. Decstation (UWS2.1, UWS2.2)
|> 2. Vaxstation (Whatever,Ultrix&VMS)
|> 3. VT1000     (This is what I personally use)

	1 and 2:	dxfc <foo.bdf >foo.pcf
			mv foo.pcf /usr/lib/X11/fonts/.../foo.pcf
			dxmkfontdir /usr/lib/X11/fonts/...

	3: I don't know. However, I don't believe that the VT1000 is supported
	   by ULTRIX.

|> One key problem is that I want to get OpenLook/OpenWindows fonts on
the
|> VT1000, using either the dec/ultrix or vax/vms as fontserver.

VMS is probably your best bet.

- Marc

====
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans at decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics
(603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH
03076