SunOS vs. Ultrix comparison

Paul Vixie vixie at wrl.dec.com
Thu Jan 24 18:49:10 AEST 1991

Sharable libraries are a huge win, period.  Ultrix does not have them yet
and I consider this an embarrassment.  OSF/1 has them, so at a time no
later than when a version of Ultrix is based on OSF/1, Ultrix will have
shared libraries.  (Not speaking as a Digital employee here.)

If you don't like Makefiles, you have a different sort of problem.  With
shared libraries, your Makefiles become even more important since there
are many fiddlin' details about creating and linking with shlibs that
simply cannot be done by hand.  Make is your friend -- trust me.  If you
can get over the initial "why did they make it so complicated?" doubts,
you'll embrace Make and wonder how you ever did without it.

Ultrix is very good about 8-bit support.  They've also fixed things like
backspace not working when echo is off; in general, a user gets what they
expect from the Ultrix tty system.  I don't know how well SunOS is doing
in this area.  Probably it depends on how many systems they sell overseas.

Cheers,
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie at wrl.dec.com>