Rumours about "new" U*IX ?

Michel Fingerhut fingerhu at ircam.fr
Sun Jan 13 18:08:16 AEST 1991

Jim Gettys writes:
>Folks are certainly working on it (hard).

Some questions arise...

1.  Will it work on *all* of DEC's platforms, i.e., the famous 58x0 as well
    as DECstations 3100, for instance?  We have both, and it would be unthinka-
    ble to upgrade one type of machine without the other and have users lost
    with yet another brand of U*ix.

2.  If it does, does this mean it's a multiprocessor U*ix?  One that works ade-
    quately with the 58x0?

3.  If so, what about the other rumors about SCO UNIX?

4.  What about the *reliability* of OSF/1 tools?  *If* I am not mistaken, their
    compiler is derived from gcc, which has known problems with DEC/MIPS archi-
    tecture, and provides less debugging options than cc (which has some
    problems too). (Is this why Jim Gettys says "We certainly ran large piles
    of exiting executable we have here "... )
       ^^^^^^^
5.  Will this software be supported by DEC?

I'd much like to understand DEC's strategy -- after all we (the end users)
have to plan ahead too...

Michael Fingerhut