Xcfb growing and growing and grow....

Kenneth J Meltsner meltsner at crd.ge.com
Thu Jan 24 01:05:13 AEST 1991

In article <2383 at aerodec.anu.edu.au>, tridge at aerodec.anu.edu.au (Andrew Tridgell) writes:

|>Does anyone know why Xcfb would grow? Whenever anyone is logged on to
|>the console of our DS3100 I've noticed that Xcfb grows - and doesn't
|>shrink when they exit. It grew to 21M (in the SZ column of ps aux) at
|>one stage so I kept getting an out of core message and had to reboot!
|>After one day (and 2 console sessions) it has reached 7.6M and I don't
|>relish having to reboot every few days.
|>
|>We are running Ultrix 4, have 16M of memory and a 600M disk (if that's
|>relevant). Recently we have started using the mwm motif window manager -
|>could that be doing it?

Well, we're running Ultrix/RISC 3.1 on DS5000, have 32 meg of memory
and a 600 M disk, run straight DECWindows, and we've got the same
problem.  We're up to 16M as we speak -- but we also have a huge
amount of swap space so we can do LISP programming.  Does this get
fixed in 4.1?

Ken Meltsner                        | meltsner at crd.ge.com (518) 387-6391
GE Research and Development Center  | Fax:  (518) 387-7495
P.O. Box 8, Room K1/MB207	    | Nothing I say should be attributed
Schenectady, NY 12301               | to my employer, and probably vice-versa
=================Dep't of Materials Science, ACME Looniversity=================