ultrix 4.0 dbx

Mike Olson mao at eden.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Jan 13 10:29:34 AEST 1991

i'm running ultrix 4.0 on a decstation 5000/200.  dbx misbehaves in the
following way:  when dbx tries to print a value that is declared to be
of type char *, but which has an illegal address, it complains and stops
whatever it was doing.  this makes it impossible to get stack backtraces
or look at structure contents.  here's an example:

	(dbx) print *foo
	struct {
	    type = 80
	    val = union {
		name = 0x42f8 = "
	[data address 0x42f8 too low (lb = 0x10000000)]
	(dbx)

name is of type char *; since this is a union, name doesn't happen to
interest me very much.  what i want to see is the rest of the structure
after name.  dbx refuses to show me anything else.  i know i could do
something like

	foo/10X

but it seems a little stupid to use a source-level debugger to get hex
dumps.

this is new to 4.0; on all our other platforms, and under earlier releases
of ultrix, dbx doesn't barf like this.  my forlorn question:  does anyone
have a workaround?  is there any way i can tell dbx to ignore this problem,
and just not print strings with bad addresses?  this is a major pain.

					mike olson
					postgres research group
					uc berkeley
					mao at postgres.berkeley.edu