Tape overwritten

Norman Diamond diamond at jit345.swstokyo.dec.com
Fri Jan 25 15:57:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.213649.2804 at cc.ic.ac.uk> pjc at cc.ic.ac.uk writes:

>   TK50 that has had the front of a tar file overwritten by another
>   much shorter one. Can I get at any of the data of the original file
>   on the tape?
>   I am willing to consider manually winding on the TK50 If I have to.
>   MT seems unable to get past the EOF and the first partial block on
>   the tape.

The default device used by the mt command is likely to rewind after
obeying your instructions, so you might not know if it has gotten past
the EOF.  Try:

% mt -f /dev/nrmt0h fsf 1
% mt -f /dev/nrmt0h fsr 1
% dd if=/dev/nrmt0h of=whatever bs=10240

However, the EOF might actually be two EOFs (convention for the end of
the last file).  So, if the above fails, then

% mt -f /dev/nrmt0h rew
% mt -f /dev/nrmt0h fsf 2
% mt -f /dev/nrmt0h fsr 1
% dd if=/dev/nrmt0h of=whatever bs=10240

Substitute /dev/nrmt0l or other device name if necessary.

These are not the company's suggestions.
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com