tcpdump for Ultrix 4.x?

Jeffrey Mogul mogul at wrl.dec.com
Thu Jan 17 12:14:50 AEST 1991

In article <2793D979.17547 at orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
>Does anyone know of/have changes to make tcpdump work under Ultrix 4.x?
>We're running 4.1 on DECstations if that makes a difference.  A pointer
>to a program like tcpdump or Sun's etherfind would also be appreciated.

Boy, do I ever! :-)

Fortunately for you, I've been working on and off for months with the
LBL crew to get their code to work on Ultrix 4.x.

The release announced yesterday, available from ftp.ee.lbl.gov,
compiles and runs just fine on Ultrix if you make the appropriate
modifications to the Makefile.  (They distribute a makefile that
uses gcc, bison, and flex instead of cc, yacc, and lex, but all
you have to do is change the Makefile symbols.)  One problem: it
really helps to have the "mkdep" command available if you want to
use their Makefile, and vanilla Ultrix doesn't include "mkdep".

So, I've put a version on
	gatekeeper.dec.com:pub/net/tcpdump-2.0.tar.Z
that has an Ultrix-ready Makefile and includes the mkdep script.
Just uncompress, unpack, and type "make".  Note that binary
files end up in a subdirectory called "mips-ultrix" or "vax-ultrix",
as appropriate.

My usual rule: don't ask me to mail you a copy.  I won't respond.

-Jeff