DS5000 Won't Accept Any Login Except Root

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Jun 26 13:34:33 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun25.175252.2895 at serval.net.wsu.edu> yeidel at tomar.accs.wsu.edu (Joshua Yeidel) writes:
> We have had similar occurances twice:  a DS5000 running Ultrix 4.1
> suddenly begins refusing logins from any userid except root.
> On investigation, we find that permissions for a high-level
> directory (in one case, /, in another, /usr/users) have been
> changed such that users can't access something vital (in the
> first case, /bin/csh, in the other, their home directories).
> Has any one seen anything like this before?  Any clues as to
> the cause (We DO know how to fix it once it's gone wrong, but
> we'd like to know what might be doing this...)

I mentionted this a while back, but the only way I've seen ultrix
gratuitously change ownerships and permissions is when you do a
partial restore.  In this case, it has been known to modify the
permissions of the directory you're restoring into to match the
permissions of the parent directory of the file/tree you're
trying to restore.

I've peeked at adduser, while I don't use it, it looks fairly
innocent.

Also, I think I saw something in the 4.2 release notes about a
bug with chroot being fixed.  I don't know the details, but since
anonymous ftp is one of the few things that does a chroot, it
might be worth investigation.  (I'm assuming your were trying
to set up an anonymous ftp account).

Any DECfolk know the actual details of the chroot thing, or am
I off in left field again?

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com