Does Xws in 4.2 support compressed fonts? (dxbook)

Farhad Shakeri farhad at CS.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jun 29 04:48:42 AEST 1991

Hi, I am a little confused about X font compresion!

I usualy compress all the X fonts to save a lot of space
and that is what I did after I upgraded to ultrix 4.2 with
the pcf fonts for Xws.  It works great.

BUT,  when I started the bookreader  (dxbook) to look at the
files on the BookReader CD, I got error that, can't find fonts...
but the compressed fonts were there . So I went and uncompressed
all the fonts and then dxbook started working.

So whose job is it to understand comperssed fonts  Xws or
the dxbook?  I thought the server suppose to to that.

My envirnment is  that My Xserver is Xws but most of the
programs I use are X11R4!

Thanks for your help.