Pretty prompt

Amitabh Shah shah at santur.tay1.dec.com
Wed Jun 19 00:47:21 AEST 1991

In article <smw.677170437 at trm>, smw at trm ( Steven Winikoff ) writes:

>Don't tell me...   There are people at DEC who like tcsh???
>
>I must be hallucinating!  Obviously this can't possibly be true.
>
>Okay, I admit I'm being sarcastic.  However, the aforementioned "conclusion"
>follows from the fact that vipw on Ultrix 4.1 has /bin/sh and /bin/csh coded
>directly into it, leading one to believe that DEC also hates the Korn shell
>(which is interesting, since this one is supplied with the system!).
>
>What's going on, guys?  Will we ever return from the dark ages and simply
>accept whatever happens to be in /etc/shells?  Isn't that what /etc/shells
>is *for*????
>
>I *like* tcsh myself.  Why can't I choose to use it as root on my single-user
>workstation without having to write my own vipw?

FWIW, /etc/shells on my machine (running Ultrix 4.1) looks like:

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/usr/bin/ksh
/usr/bin/sh5
/usr/local/bin/tcsh

The first four came with the system, I added the fifth later.

I have been using tcsh for both, my personal account and the root account. I
changed both of these using chsh after modifying /etc/shells.

Yes, some people at DEC do like tcsh!

-amitabh