How to duplicate the Ultrix distribution TK50's?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Jun 6 04:30:18 AEST 1991

In article <2378 at netmbx.UUCP> weis at netmbx.UUCP (Dietmar Weis) writes:
> It can't be done with dd, there must be something special.
> (I tried it with bs=10k (good for layered products tapes, but not for
> at least the supported subset vol. 1.))

The files on the tape have differing blocksizes.  You could do it with
dd as a "tape-to-tape" copy, since this preserves blocksizes (assuming
that you specify something large enough).  However if you use disk as
an intermediate storage, you need to specify the correct blocksize for
each file output to the tape.  I believe there are some "tapecopy"
programs floating around that can do this.
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com