Ultrix 4.2

Joel Gringorten gringort at wsl.dec.com
Thu Jun 20 03:58:14 AEST 1991

In article <3459 at geocub.UUCP>, lutmann at geocub.UUCP (Patrice LUTMANN) writes:
|> n article <14411 at dog.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs at epb7.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
|> :"The graphics driver structure has changed such that it is no longer possible
|> :to build or run the MIT X11 Release 4 sample server.  Because of driver
|> :structure changes, header files needed to build the MIT X11 Release 4 sample
|> :server no longer exist.  Instead, use the servers providev by Digital."
|>
|> 	Is it because the MIT sample server is more efficient?
|> 	Is it because the MIT sample server is less buggy?
|> 	Or is it because DEC does not care about us? What a cheek!
|>

|> 				S H A M E
|>
|> 					[Pat]

Shame yourself.  Evidently you missed Ted Lemon's very complete followup
to this article I'll include it below just for your benefit.

The bottom line is that the server/driver interface was completely
redesigned for Ultrix 4.2 for multiscreen workstations.  The changes were
given to MIT and will appear in MIT R5.  Digital is one of the first
companies to release multiscreen workstations (perhaps *the* first?)
We're proud of this work and it's being received quite well by our
customers.

Digital and MIT don't synchronize their software releases for obvious
reasons.  Therefore, interface changes cause incompatibilities for a while
until things get synched up.  What would you do differently?

-joel