How to Cook a DECstation

Jim Gettys jg at crl.dec.com
Sat Jun 22 05:03:43 AEST 1991

I believe the specs are correct as written...

Our machines are often used in harsh environments; they get tested
in test chambers at elevated temperature extensively.  Think about
a factory floor sometime.  Machine room machines are often more
sensitive, and often when your machine room airconditioner allows
the temp. to get to 90, it is broken, and this forces the shutdown
before the machine room gets too hot.  The other thing to be avoided
which stresses machines is rapid temperature change; again, if a machine
room airconditioner fails, the temperature often rises quickly, and
disk drives can become unhappy.

Most of our desktop machines have thermostatically controlled fans these
days; the fans run faster when the machine gets hotter, to keep the
operating temperature of the components relatively constant.
(i.e. hot conditions causes you machine to get noisier!).

Just keep the airflow to the machine unrestricted, and check that
everything you have is similarly rated, but I believe we mean
what we say in the specs...
				- Jim