Problem w/ Multi-User mode - Ultrix 4.1

Philip Yzarn de Louraille yzarn at lhdsy1.chevron.com
Sun Jun 16 15:49:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun14.081538.50 at esvax.hamavnet.com> henderson at esvax.hamavnet.com writes:
>In article <1991Jun13.200640.28429 at unhd.unh.edu>, wrt at kepler.unh.edu (Walter R Trachim) writes:
>
>> I'm having a strange problem w/ a DS3100/Ultrix 4.1. If one of the users
>> that has an account on my machine tries to log in when I have a session
>> running, he gets bounced with the message "too many users logged it. Try
>> again later." At the console of the workstation I have only one session
>> window open, the mailbox, and the clock. And conversely, if the same
>> party logs in from a remote device and I try to log in from the console, I'm
>> not allowed to do so either.
>
>That is because Ultrix 4.1 is LMF protected. To have more than one interactive
>session, you need to buy extra licensing.
There is a perfectly legal trick you can do (thru X window) that will
allow an unlimited number of people to login on such "limited"
licensing:
xhost +machine
rsh machine xterm -d your_display:0
It sure works on Ultrix.
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn at chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems
  Chevron Information & Technology Co.      Tel: (213) 694-9232
  P.O. Box 446, La Habra, CA 90633-0446     Fax: (213) 694-7709