OSF/1-based Ultrix binary compatible with current version?

Daryl Morse morse at quark.mpr.ca
Mon Jun 3 12:03:46 AEST 1991

Will the OSF/1-based version of Ultrix *be* fully binary compatible
with the current version?  What about SCO's new ODT operating system
for the ACE platform?  Will it *fully* be binary compatible with
existing Ultrix applications?

I have heard both yes and no answered to the first question and would
a straight answer from someone who knows for sure.

One more reason I ask is that in an article describing DEC's OSF/1
Advanced Development Kit, it was stated that close to 90% of
applications tested in the porting centres ran with little or no
modification. What about the other 10%? Does that only imply that
vanilla OSF/1 is not fully binary compatible with Ultrix?

Please reply by email (unless, of course, you think the reply is of
general interest). I will send summary of response via email.

Thanks.

--
Daryl Morse                     | Voice : (604) 293-5476
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC    | E-Mail: morse at quark.mpr.ca
Canada, V5A 4B5                 |         quark.mpr.ca!morse at uunet.uu.net