Swap Space Problems

Bryan Emery bemery at nmsu.edu
Fri Jun 28 02:41:36 AEST 1991

I am needing some advice about swap space definitions.

My setup is a DECstation 3100 with Ultrix 4.1.  I have 16 Mb memory and
about 1.8 Gbytes of disk.

The installation guide suggested that I need about 2-3 times the amount of
virtual memory in swap space and that two swap areas is more efficient than
one.  So, I took 16*3=48 Mbytes, divided that by two and set up two 24 Mbyte
partitions for swapping.

In my previous install I just used the Basic Installation and had one 64 Mbyte
partition for swapping.

Now, I am getting lots and lots of memory problems.  For example, when someone
is using SAS on the console in windows, no one else can even login.

Also, when someone is using MATLAB (another software package) and has been
doing things for a while.  If you get into a terminal window and do:

su userid

to allow another user temporary use of the console, I get:

getwd:  can't open .. -- can't start new shell

I assume these problems are related to not enough available memory which
translates to not enough swap space.

But, I thought (according to the guide) I had plenty.

Any suggestions?  Please respond by e-mail.  Thanks!!

Bryan Emery
Computer Systems Analyst
Lockheed Engineering and Sciences Corp.