How to Cook a DECstation

Donald D Rice ddr at flux.isr.alaska.edu
Tue Jun 25 03:54:47 AEST 1991

In article <AJC.91Jun22104209 at thendara.pa.dec.com> ajc at thendara.pa.dec.com (AJ Casamento) writes:

>	Don,
>
>	  As Jim Gettys has already pointed out, the system boxes on our
>	DS5000/xxx machines have thermostatically controlled fans. This
>	allows them to speed up when the temperature in the box gets higher.
>	It also allows them to run very slowly/quietly when they are not
>	needed. However, I posted your inquiry to the Reliability Engineers
>	just out of curiousity, and Jim was also correct in that we really
>	do mean what the specifications say.

Thanks, both to you and Jim Gettys.  I saw Jim's message on Friday, but yours
came along after a network hub overheated and quit.  Some PC clones also lost
their marbles, but the DECstations did fine.  One person on the sunward side
of the building shut down his DECstation when the room temperature got near
104 F, but the rest of us survived by turning off the monitors to keep the
room temperature under 100.  The network hub stayed dead all weekend and
finally resumed operation this morning (not DEC equipment; I didn't buy it).

I guess the moral is that even in Alaska it pays to buy equipment with a
decent operating temperature range...especially when you work in a building
with a paleolithic air handling system.

Thanks again.
Don
Don Rice                                  Internet: ddr at flux.isr.alaska.edu
Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr at alaska.bitnet
University of Alaska                      Phone:    (907) 474-7569
Fairbanks, AK 99775                       Loran:    64.86N 212.16E