How to get device information from a file descriptor ?

Alain Ninane - FYNU Ninane at fynu.ucl.ac.be
Mon Jun 3 20:49:48 AEST 1991

Dear all of you,
Given a valid file descriptor [from an open(2) call], is there a
standard way to know whether or not this fd points to a specific
special file/device (major number only) ?
I'm particularely interrested to detect:
					/dev/[n]rst*, /dev/[n]rmt*
I'm looking for a non-string(3) operation on the device name.
As I guess this is OS dependent ... I'm using Ultrix 4.1 and SUNOS 4.1
Thank you very much, Alain.
--
Dr. Alain H. Ninane, University of Louvain, Nuclear Physics Dept.
Ch. du Cyclotron, 2 -  B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve,  BELGIUM
Tel: +32-10-47.32.73, Fax: +32-10-45.21.83, Internet: Ninane at fynu.ucl.ac.be