increasing the size of the root partition

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Jun 8 15:27:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun7.122711.7953 at swift.cs.tcd.ie> gerry at swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
> I would like to increase the /, /usr & /var partitions on our V4.0 system.
> The obvious way to do this, it seems to me, is to boot from the standalone tape
> and dump the file systems out, change the partitions sizes and then restore. Are
> there any possible problems that I am overlooking?

You should think twice before increasing the root parition size.  Yes, it is
tight, but generally you shouldn't be adding anything except symlinks and
mount points.  Root should be limited to the kernel and the basics needed for
single user mode operation/recovery.

To move/expand /usr, you will have to do a dump/restore to external media or
reinstall the system using the advanced installation path.  /var is usually
small enough to use disk as an intermediate media but tape is safer.

The only one you really need to do by booting the installation media is root.
If you have a second drive, it's easier to copy the root parition to the there
and diddle the drive nubmers, working the standalong environment involves
primitive operations like mknod and mkfs *after* you've probably blown away
your operating system.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com