A question about swap

Dave Brillhart dbrillha at dave.enet.dec.com
Sat Jun 15 04:46:09 AEST 1991

On one of our 5500s, we have configured over 500M of swap space. Someone
recommended using the 'a' and 'b' partitions over five drives, with the
a/b partitions combined into a larger 'a' partition.

Does this buy us much over a single 500M swap partition? Is the OS smart
enough to
distribute the load over several spindles? We are currently running
Ultrix 4.1 and
using Prestoserve (which BTW we have found to be a significant
performance enhancer).

I just upgraded to 4.2 and have had reports I wasn't receiving mail
outside my domain.
It should be fixed by the time you read this :-)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

-- Dave Brillhart
     Harris Semiconductor