/dev/xcons

Mike Marques mike at apex.yorku.ca
Sat Jun 22 08:36:26 AEST 1991

Greetings...

Where do I get information about /dev/xcons?

I tried adding the following to my rc.local:

# Direct console output to /usr/adm/messages
tail -f /dev/xcons >>/usr/adm/messages &

It worked fine and the boot process was recorded on that file.
However after the boot was completed and X windows started up output
to the console stopped showing up on that file.  In fact console
output didn't go anywhere anymore.   I killed the tail -f on
/dev/xcons and that didn't help.

My idea was to have console output recorded to a file and then have
processed intersted on console output read the /usr/adm/messages file.
Is there a better way of doing this?  (I tried a cat of /dev/xcons but
cat just exits after the first message shows up.

							Mike

p.s.  Oh yeah, I'm running Ultrix 4.2 on DECstation 2100
      (Hey, who protected /dev/console?  ;-) )

--
          Mike Marques               )(  Usenet: ......!utzoo!yunexus!mike
 Computing & Communications Services )(          mike at outland.yorku.ca
   (IT division),  York University.  )(  Bitnet: mike at yulibra
   Only visiting this planet...      )(  Voice: (416) 736-5257