Need help with >>boot of DECStation 2100

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Sun Jun 2 02:23:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991May31.185559.22995 at ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil>, dayhoff at ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (dayhoff at ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil  --  harv) writes:

> I would like to RTFM, but I am without.
>
> >>boot     Returns
> ?47a path:
> ?470 bt err:
>
> Seems as though I lost NVROM and default path, bootdevice, and bootmode
> are gone (it asked for language type).

	That's what it looks like...

> How to find bootable devices?

	It's a two step operation; find what devices there are
	and then see if any are bootable.

	Since the only interesting places from which to boot on
	the DECstation 2100/3100 are the Ethernet and single
	SCSI adapter you probably want to find out what is on
	the SCSI.  There is a console level command called "scsi"
	that has lots of subcommands.  The one of interest in this
	case is "pb", for probe.  It will list what kind of devices
	and their unit numbers.

> How to say "boot of the **RRD on scsi 4"

	To test booting different devices use the command: boot -f {device}

	Where the general form of {device} is:

		type(0,unit,0)[kernel]

		type = rz, tz, mop (and maybe something for bootp)
		unit = The unit number.
		kernel = The name of the ULTRIX you want to boot;
			 genvmunix, vmunix, myvmunix...

	The 2nd zero may well be a partition number, 0 = a, 1 = b,
	etc, but I've never used.

	Examples:

		RRD40 with unit 4 = rz(0,4,0)vmunix - Good for installation
		TK70 with unit 5 = tz(0,5,0) - Also typically used for
			installation.
		RZ56 with unit 0 = rz(0,0,0)vmunix - Typical system disk.
		Diskless - mop()

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.cxn.dec.com