DECwindows Session manager (was: Re: Ultrix 4.2)

Chad chad at oscar.cs.byu.edu
Sun Jun 30 03:16:49 AEST 1991

--
dsmith at applga.aa.cad.slb.com (J. Daniel Smith) writes:
|>>I'm running Motif instead of DECwindows, if that makes any
|>difference.
|>
|>No you are not. You are using Motif and the motif window manager
|>within
|>DECwindows. (Unless, of course, you have booted your machine with the
|>MIT X11r? server.)
|>--
|>  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet:
|>yzarn at chevron.com
|>  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems
|>  Chevron Information & Technology Co.      Tel: (213) 694-9232
|>  P.O. Box 446, La Habra, CA 90633-0446     Fax: (213) 694-7709

What is really probably happening is that a DEC X server is running and
the mwm window manager is being used.  This is not "You are using Motif
and the motif window manager within DECwindows."  You can run XUI
(DECwindows), motif, and MIT applications all off the same server.  You
can also run most any window manager.  It is the library that was used
to build the application that specifies which UI the application uses.
DECs server's are X servers, as is the MIT sample server.  DECwindows is
Digital's name for its X11 product.  It includes, amongst other things,
X servers, a toolkit, a style guide, a session manager, a window
manager, and a set of OOTB applications.  Applications that use the XUI
(or DECwindows) toolbox are DECwindows aplications.

Chad Leigh
Brigham Young University / on leave from DEC
chad at yvax.byu.edu /  chad at norge.enet.dec.com