/dev/xcons

Ted Lemon mellon at nigiri.pa.dec.com
Wed Jun 26 05:33:41 AEST 1991

>A more compelling argument is that we use "xterm -e tail -f
>/dev/xcons" to redirect our console output, and it works fine.  This
>is Ultrix 4.1, though -- maybe somebody "fixed" something (somehow,
>getting, EISPIPE *does* make sense...).

It seems to me that just a ``cat /dev/xcons'' would work better.   Cat
does blocking reads, so if there's no data, it will block until data
is available, rather than waking up once a second to check again.
Actually, there's a good chance that tail -f works this way too, since
it probably doesn't go into the 1-second sleep mode until it reads
zero bytes at the end of the file.   If there's nothing to read from
/dev/xcons, the read would just block until something came out.

			       _MelloN_