increasing the size of the root partition

George Michaelson ggm at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au
Sun Jun 9 12:58:30 AEST 1991

grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:

>You should think twice before increasing the root parition size.  Yes, it is
>tight, but generally you shouldn't be adding anything except symlinks and
>mount points.  Root should be limited to the kernel and the basics needed for
>single user mode operation/recovery.

Except that certain changes to Ultrix like DECnet phase V may blow the
current / partition size out of that water. You have no safe way of
doing an UPGRADE with / too small short of smashing it entirely during
the upgrade or resizing it beforehand.

RISC / seems to be much nicer under 4.2 than 4.[01] -Its around 10Mb
instead of 13 which is too close to the 15Mb size DEC chose,  if you
leave /tmp on root that is.

Personally I think making root bigger is sensible. It means keeping
spare kernels around and having non-standard shells like tcsh and bash
in /bin instead of symblinked into it is viable.

	-George
--
                         George Michaelson
G.Michaelson at cc.uq.oz.au The Prentice Centre      | There's no  market for