CD-rom > TK50?

Walter Wong ww0r+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jun 9 10:15:20 AEST 1991

urban at ianet.enet.dec.com (Rob Urban) writes:
> You are correct that all you need is the "bootstrap" file (called
> the "miniroot" around DEC, I think).  This is a special boot+kernel
> file that runs standalone (including memdisk).

On our distribution of Ultrix 4.2 (RISC), this file was included in
the ROOT dump.  You can extract it by typing in "restore xvf ROOT
vmunix.sas"

On a side note, in our environment, it would be very nice if we chould
change install.1 such that another menu item choice is presented.  In
order to do this, we need to be able to modify the install.1 shell
script in vmunix.sas.  This basically involves gnu-emacs'ing the boot
kernel (kinda icky, huh?).

It would be really nice if DEC either pulled over install.1 from the
server (in the network installation case), or provided instructions on
how to build your own vmunix.sas (specifically, just how do I stuff a
recognizable filesystem into this kernel?)

Walter
-----
internet:Walter.Wong at andrew.cmu.edu	bitnet:r746ww0r at cmccvb