Problems with Dec Station

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Jun 18 19:10:40 AEST 1991

In article <15028 at ector.cs.purdue.edu> wangjw at brandon.cs.purdue.edu () writes:

>   I have been using the Sun stations, but now I switched to Dec station.
> Can I ask the following questions:
>
> 1) The troff software does not work. I tried on the Dec stations of several
>    Universities, but the response is just "Typesetter busy". Can anyone tell
>    me how to print troff documents on this machine.

Ultrix is shipped with standard "CAT" troff.  This version is all but
useless except that it can be used with some CAT to xyz conversion programs.

Several companies offer products based on pwb troff (ditroff) which will produce
postscript or printer specific output formats.  See the Ultrix software guide or
any copy of Unix Review or unix/world.

> 2) On sun, we can use "bintype" to found out the hosttype, but on Dec
>    stations, I cann't find such a command.

You can create one:

/bin/arch (vax):
#! /bin/sh -