Ultrix 4.2 gripe

Booker Bense benseb at grumpy.sdsc.edu
Fri Jun 28 12:21:05 AEST 1991

- Well , we just got done installing 4.2 on our decstations and I have
an annoying VERY MINOR bug to report. It involves telnet. When you
telnet to a host that doesn't exist with a single name, it prints an
incomplete error message. e.g.

heart4% telnet foo
foo:   heart4%

However, if I use

heart4% telnet foo.bar.edu
foo.bar.edu:  Host unknown

- While this is an extremely minor bug , it confuses the heck out of
new users and demonstrates the lack of quality control that I
consistently find in Ultrix. It seems like dec's idea of beta testing
is to release it to the users and see what happens. Whenever I have to
do anything fairly complex that tests the limit of the software , I
end up having to get source elsewhere and build a useable utility from
that.  Ultrix is actually a nice flavor of unix if they could ever get
it fixed !

P.S. If dec is going to distribute ``Unsupported Software Sets'' why
don't they just leave them alone rather than ``fixing'' them?

P.P.S. If you want to know what I mean, build gnuplot 2.1 with the dec
X11 libraries, then get the MIT source , build your own libraries and
compare.

P.P.S. If I am being brain-damaged (has been known to occur %-)! and
there are fixes, I'd love to hear about it.

- Booker C. Bense
prefered: benseb at grumpy.sdsc.edu	"I think it's GOOD that everyone
NeXT Mail: benseb at next.sdsc.edu 	   becomes food " - Hobbes