ris question

Andreas Karrer karrer at bernina.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 21 20:32:39 AEST 1991

JGROVER at MAINE.MAINE.EDU (John Grover) writes:

>If I want to use ris to install software, must I be using DECnet, or
>can I accomplish this on a "normal" network.  ;-)

Guess "normal" means IP.

You need sort of DECnet. all you need is the mop_mom listener on the RIS server.
This is in the standard distribution in subset UDTMOPnnn (ULTMOPnnn).

RIS doesn't work thru routers, though, since MOP cannot be routed and
because the mini-unix that is downloaded as the first step in the installation
procedure.

BTW are there any boot protocols that CAN be routed by a normal IP
router?