general warning on Ultrix 4.2 (preinstalled)

Eric Wedaa ericw at janis.UUCP
Fri Jun 14 06:37:45 AEST 1991

I just received my 5100 with Ultrix 4.2 preinstalled with all of the
supported subsets.  In the act of deleting some of the subsets I didn't
need or want for that machine, I managed to lock up the console!  Silly
me, when that happens to me in single user mode I hit the halt button and
reboot.  This time I managed to munge the system up totally so that it
wouldn't even reboot!  The error message was something to the effect of

	CPU 0: init failed

The system would not reboot with any of the three kernels on root (vmunix,
vmunix.old, or genvmunix)

MORAL: Just as a side note, (word to the wise and all that...) is that after
you get Ultrix (or any unix) up and running, IMMEDIATELY do a full backup.
No matter how slow a restore is, a full install is even slower!