Adding/setting up mem, disk, cd drive, sys admin?

henderson at esvax.hamavnet.com henderson at esvax.hamavnet.com
Tue Jun 18 00:06:23 AEST 1991

In article <44675 at netnews.upenn.edu>, lau at desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
> We recently got some new hardware for our DECstation 5000/200.  Most of
> the installation seems straight forward but I have a few of questions.
>
> I added two 8 meg memory boards.  The memory shows up on the hardware
> test.  What do I need to do to make the operating system aware of the
> new memory?  I couldn't find any doc on this, maybe I'm not looking in
> the right place.

You need to rebuild the kernel. Bring the machine to single user mode and do:

# /etc/doconfig -c HOSTNAME
                   ^^^^^^^^--- must be all caps, even if your machine name
                               has lowercase chars on it

Then make sure you move the newly generated vmunix file back to root
# mv /sys/MIPS/HOSTNAME/vmunix /

.
.(stuff deleted as I don't have answers for some of the questions...)
.
.

> Another thing, do you have to run lmf on each machine to install the licenses
> for each product.  We only have a half dozen machines with one acting as the
> server(dms) for the others.  Still, it was a bit tedious typing in all the
> information for each machine to register a product.  There's probably a way
> to type it just once and reuse, no?

No.

--
Javier Henderson
Engineering Services

henderson at hamavnet.com
{simpact,asylum,elroy,dhw68k}!hamavnet!henderson