Large drives off of a Decstation 3100

Dirk Grunwald grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu
Tue Jun 11 05:12:26 AEST 1991

PYdL> In article <12232 at jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jjensen at jarthur.claremont.edu (Jeff Jensen) writes:
>We're running Ultrix 4.1 Rev 52 off of a DecStation 3100.  We are in the
>process of getting a new drive, of about 1.2gig.  Now to the question...
>For some reason, I seem to remember hearing that there were problems
>running a disk of this size under Ultrix.  Is this true, and if so, are
>there any patches?  Any information/pointers to places to look would be
>appreciated.

PYdL> Nah. Just don't make any partition any bigger than 1 GB and you will be
PYdL> fine.
PYdL> --
--

wrong. If you're using a pre-4.2 Ultrix, you can not use more than
2^21 sectors in any given drive. The Ultrix SCSI drivers use a command

Ultrix 4.2 allegedly fixes this scsi driver. They may have a
limitation of 2^21 sectors per partition, I dunno.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu)
						(grunwald at cs.colorado.edu)