ntpd halts clock on a DS3100 (?)

Marc Elsen elsen at imec.be
Thu Jun 6 18:45:38 AEST 1991

  Recently we switched  from timed to ntpd on our DECstations :

  we have 21 DECstations (3100) booting from a DECsystem 5400 (server).
  Since we have no Internet connection I set up the 5400 as
  being a "reference clock".
  The stations are all ntp clients and the 5400 is always configured
  as the (only time server).

  When setting up ntpd on the 5400 and on the clients I did
  nothing special , I followed the instructions in the manual
  exactly (ntpd(8)).

  The following has happened 2 times since : on 2 DIFFERENT decstation
  the clock seemingly halted !!
  That is subsequent date commands always showed the same frozen time !!!

  The clock could be restarted by setting it to the current time.

  Is this due to a bug in ntpd.
  You can imagine that this problem is very annoying for end users.

                                           Marc (elsen at imec.be)