general warning on Ultrix 4.2 (preinstalled)

Andreas Karrer karrer at bernina.ethz.ch
Sun Jun 16 06:08:47 AEST 1991

slsw2 at cc.usu.edu writes:

>I've never figured out how to make a bootable backup. Without that, you would
>have to do an install in this situation anyway.

well here's how it goes:

boot from an installation tape or from a RIS server (don't have a cd drive,
yet).

At the time when the installation procedure asks you for
	1) basic installation
	2) advanced installation
	3) system management
select the third.

You will find yourself in a worst-case mini-unix that is actually memory
resident.

They don't give you "ls", so use "echo *" etc.

They DO give you MAKEDEV, restore, dd, rsh, chpt, mount and newfs, though.
That's enough to recreate the root partition (you DID write down its size,
didn't you) and to restore it from either a local tape or from a remote host
on the same subnet, along the lines:
	cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV ra0 		-- yeah, i have slow ra90's
	chpt -pa ....          		-- your partitioning here
	newfs /dev/rrz0a ra90
	mkdir /zork
	mount /dev/rrz0a /zork
	cd /zork
	rsh exahost 'dd if=/dev/exabyte bs=..' | restore rf -

If DEC put something like a "route add default" command into the mini-unix,
one could even install thru multi-protocol routers. Needed some twiddling
with bridging MOP thru the router, though.