Ultrix 4.2 gripe

Joel Andrew Huddleston j1h9453 at eagle.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 27 05:49:31 AEST 1991

I thought I might warn people out there supporting DECStations.  I don't know
how far this goes back in the version list, but under Ultrix 4.2, there is a
file in /usr/skel called .Xdefaults.  This is a swell initialization file for
someone who already knows how to set up X applications or for someone who
never wants to change a thing.  However, the Session Manager supplied by DEC
can't understand this file well enough to change what it does.  Consequently,
if a user tries to use the Session Manager's Customize menu to set defaults,
it doesn't work.   But, it doesn't work in such a way that it *thinks* it is
working, *seems* to be working, *tells* you it is working, *warns* you that it
won't work until you restart your session, but doesn't change everything.

C'mon DEC!  Give us a break.  If you include some nifty startup file, make
sure that it is going to work with the product you wrote to update it.
Doesn't that make sense?

Joel Huddleston  eka j1h9453 at zeus.tamu.edu
     Peace: Not just the absence of war but the absence of fear.
       War: Not just the absence of peace but the absence of cowardice.
Disclaimer: Not just the absence of blame but the absence of repsponsiblilty.