A question about swap

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Jun 18 18:58:55 AEST 1991

In article <967 at lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn at lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
> In article <1991Jun14.184609.21178 at mlb.semi.harris.com> dcb at dave.mis.semi.harris.com writes:
> >On one of our 5500s, we have configured over 500M of swap space. Someone
> >recommended using the 'a' and 'b' partitions over five drives, with the
> >a/b partitions combined into a larger 'a' partition.
> ... deleted text...

> I was told once to *never* mess up with the a partition of a disk.
> Forget about the 16Meg you will be loosing.

This is rather simplistic - the better advice is to warn people not
to mess with disk paritions at all, *unless* they understand the
consequences of changing the different parititions and how to
recover from a mistake...

Also, I don't consider the 16MB-byte wasted, there are lots of
good uses for "spare" "a" and "b" paritions if you don't need them
for swapping or root partitions.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com