Installing tcsh on Ultrix 4.1?

Neil Fishman nsf at crl.dec.com
Thu Jun 27 04:34:05 AEST 1991

In article <JOERN.91Jun26105117 at hufsa.imf.unit.no>, joern at imf.unit.no (Joern Amundsen) writes:

> > How do I install tcsh on DECstations running Ultrix 4.1?
> > Where can I get the sources?  Is there a set that is ready-made
> > to compile under Ultrix?  One of our users got the source from
> > somewhere else on campus but I'm having problems compiling it.
> > Also, the readme says that I need the sources for 4.3 BSD csh.
> > I'm not sure if I have this; does it come with Ultrix?
> > I looked up on the archie server and that were many places with
> > tcsh, which is the best?  Also, I saw already compiled binaries.
> > Should I use those?  But they were version specific.  Am I going
> > to need another version when we go to 4.2?  Is it maintainable?
>
> Why compile when you can just copy the binaries from tesla ?
> I would suggest copying a binary from tesla.ee.cornell.edu, install it in
> your-local-binary, add an entry in /etc/shells and enjoy.
>
> From the ``FAQ.tcsh'':
>     Csh sources are not public domain. If you do not have an AT&T V3.2 source
>     licence or better, you are stuck.
>
> I copied the binary for use with 4.0 on our DECStation 3100, it still
> works quite well after installing 4.1. Can't see why it shouldn't still work
> with 4.2.
> Anyway, after enjoying tcsh for a while, I switched to the GNU bash. A very
> nice and powerful shell, and free. Highly recommended.
>
> -joern
> --

You will need a new version when you move to 4.2   Changes were made in the Ultrix upgrade which cause the regular tcsh to fail.  There is a patched version
of the shell (which should work on 4.1) on crl in pub/misc/tcsh-5.20  If you
are interested in the source patches which I posted last week, I can email those to you.

--
Neil Fishman					Cambridge Research Lab
nsf at crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.