DECwindows & Display PostScript compatible?

castor fu foo at adelbert5.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jun 27 10:40:12 AEST 1991

Here's a question which has been irking me for a while, for which I would like
an answer:

Does anyone actually use Display PostScript under DECwindows?  If so,
do they just accept the fact that they will have to put a 3100 or better
on the desk of every person who might use DPS applications?

I am sort of annoyed to find that with our VT1200, we have no obvious
way of using DPS applications.  It seems that one should be able to
somehow have at worst a DPS interpreter residing on some friendly host
to feed the little VT1200. In fact, if I go and take the Ultrix 3.0
dxpsview, I can use that as a previewer, so this is clearly possible. . . .
One could conceive of a server for the server which would monitor
the incoming data stream for extensions, font requests, etc. and handle
them before passing the simplified stuff on to the dumber x terminal.

I have nothing against DEC making potentially useful extensions to the
X windows standard.  Although this can tend to "lock one in" to a particular
vendor, if the benefits are great enough this is tolerable. . . . but
if the extension is not even compatible with current DEC equipment
why pay any attention at all? I might as well buy an NCD or GraphOn or
Tektronix X terminal. . . or buy a HP xxx/720 for higher performance.

	-castor fu
	castor at embezzle.stanford.edu