getpwuid() dumps core on *our* DECsystem 5400

Norman Diamond diamond at jit533.swstokyo.dec.com
Tue Jun 4 17:50:58 AEST 1991

In article <8523 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	Any program compiled and run on our DECsystem 5400 dumps core
>if it calls getpwuid() (or other getpw???() function).  However, the SAME
>BINARY runs fine on a DECstation 3100.
>	If we compile the program on a DECstation 3100, it runs fine on
>either the DS3100 oir the DS5400.
>	Now the weird part:  both the DS5400 and the DS3100 are physically
>using the SAME COMPILER and SAME LIBRARIES.  (The 3100 mounts them by NFS.)

But perhaps grabbing different portions of the libraries.  Is your
environment set up the same way on both machines (BSD vs. POSIX vs.
XOPEN vs. SYSTEM_V, etc.)?

Also, considering the number of symbolic links in the pathnames for the
compiler and libraries, it is worth checking again to see if both machines
are really getting the same ones.

(Sorry, I'm not allowed to do any kernel work or other things that might
help answer your problem, but the matter of identical binaries raises
slightly different questions.)
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com
Permission is granted to feel this signature, but not to look at it.