unix licenses for small machines

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Mon Aug 10 11:28:48 AEST 1981

>From gray at Berkeley Mon Aug 10 11:19:03 1981
About 20 months ago Al Arms of Western Electric announced that WECO
had made a special licensing arrangement for Unix V7.  The arrangement
allows license fees based on the number of users.  Once an organization
had worked out details with WECO that organization could have
Unix on a single user machine for $750.  Each additional user that
a given machine could support would cost about $400 more.  This
scheme works until you reach the magic number $9400 which is the cost
for unix without a special arrangement.
	This is the licensing arrangement that allows Onyx to
sell Z8000 boxes with unix for reasonable prices.  Microsoft also
is in this category.
	Anyway, i'm trying to get this arrangement in place for the
DoD.  The work I'm involved with will need at least three such
licenses for 11/34's with DeAnza displays.   I've been trying
to get DoD and WECO to get this agreement in place and things are
moving very slowly.  If there were lots more requests from other
DoD sites or DoD contractors i think things would move faster.
	Anyone who thinks they could  use cheap V7 licenses for
small systems please send me a note.
 					Bob Gray