unamed bit fields and other losses on v7 c

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Tue Nov 17 21:11:52 AEST 1981

>From dan at BBN-UNIX Tue Nov 17 21:03:58 1981
Contrary to a recent message, the Ritchie V7 C compiler does implement
bit fields, both named and unnamed (I just tried it). In fact, the
"Phototypesetter" compiler, an earlier version, implements them too,
and the C book describes them. What neither one implements is signed bit
fields; even if you declare a bit field as an int, its values are
still unsigned. I don't know how pcc or Berkeley 4.1BSD C compilers do
on that one.