Versatec usage (help)

msc at qubix.UUCP msc at qubix.UUCP
Sun Jul 24 14:29:42 AEST 1983

I have been involved in the installation of 2 Versatec v80's on Vax
11/750's running 4.1bsd.  Both installations were painful.  The first
installation was the first v80 to be put on a 750 running Unix.  Because
of this the finger pointing when it didn't work was greater than usual.
In the end it turned out we had the long lines option in the printer but
not in the controller so they couldn't talk to each other.  (Versatec's fault.)

On the second installation, I took the vp.c documentation literally
and asked the Versatec FE to wire both interrupts to the same vector.
I then built the system to expect just one interrupt.  That didn't
work.  The system would hang when autoconf was probing for the controller..
I tried again the more normal 2 interrupt way only to find that the
controller was not correctly configured.

After the installation woes were over, both v80's have performed
without any problems at all.
--
	Mark
	...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!