The meaning of (U) ("U" in a circle)

Avi E. Gross - ABI at Lincroft NJ avi at hogpd.UUCP
Fri Jul 15 23:57:57 AEST 1983

umcmp-cs/chris wanted to know what the meaning of (U) was on
cereal boxes - now that we have solved the deeper meanings of
(R) and (TM). To put it simply, the symbol means that the
food is "Kosher". The (U) is usually pronounced something like
Oh-You (a letter "O" circumscribing a letter "U") and refers to
certification by a board of Rabbis called the "Union of Orthodox
Congregations of America" (I think). I believe that this is a
registered trademark - and it is illegal to include it on your
food packages without permission.

Food that contains this label has to be prepared in accordance
with Orthodox Jewish dietary laws. This includes such well-known
features as no pork, and less well known ones like keeping meat
and dairy ingredients from being in the same dish (e.g. veal
parmegian is not allowed). The food is usually made in plants
that are regularly inspected by rabbinical staff.

Several other brands are also used on food. The "K" mark is not
a certified trademark, and can be unreliable. When properly
used, it means "Kosher". At times people have placed the mark on
non-kosher items. Not all Jews are satisfied with the degree of
certification offered by these symbols. Some people will only
eat food certified by a person they know and trust. I even know
a few who only eat food prepared by their wife or mother. On the
other hand, less traditionally observant Jews are less careful.
Many Jews have a typical "American" diet that includes anything
they feel like eating and just ignore the laws of Kashruth.

	Avi Gross

P.S. Interestingly enough, the Moslem dietary laws are largely a
subset of the Jewish laws. Therefore, many Moslems buy their
meat at kosher butcher stores.